Date: 3 - 5 May 2023
This course introduces trainers in the life sciences to learning principles, training techniques, lesson, session, course, and material design as well as assessment and feedback. It offers guidance, ideas and tips for designing training/teaching, development and delivery on training activities, all based on research-driven educational principles. Examples and discussions will also focus on the challenges presented by academic teaching.
This course has been developed for and by trainers in bioinformatics but is suitable for all trainers and educators in higher education. It is part of the ELIXIR-GOBLET Train-the-Trainer programme.
The course will run from 3 May to 5 May 2023 and is organize by ELIXIR-Switzerland and ELIXIR-Luxembourg.
This course is addressed to scientists:
* with some to little or no teaching experience,
* who want to become a teacher or a better one, and
* who believe teaching is - or may become - a relevant aspect of their professional development.
At the end of the course, the participants are expected to:
- tell which learning principles a good trainer should have in mind
- describe at least three training techniques drawing on learning principles
- design a training session and a course
- develop assessment questionnaires
- tell what types of material are needed for each part of a training session
Knowledge / competencies
This course is designed for scientists with some to little or no teaching experience.
You don't need to bring a computer. It's all based on human interactions.
This course is free of charges. It is partially sponsored by ELIXIR.
Applications will close on 12/04/2023 or as soon as the places will be filled up. Please note that participation in SIB courses is subject to our general conditions.
You will be informed by email of your registration confirmation.
While participants are registered on a first come, first served basis, exceptions may be made to ensure diversity and equity, which may increase the time before your registration is confirmed.
Venue and Time
This course will take place in Basel, Switzerland.
Precise information will be provided to the participants in due time.
The course will have four sessions, spread across three days.
|03 May 2023|
|14:00-17:30||Introduction to learning principles|
|04 May 2023|
|9:00-12:30||Application of learning principles in instructional design|
|14:00-17:30||Teaching techniques to enhance learner engagement|
|05 May 2023|
|9:00-12:30||Assessment and feedback in training and teaching|
- Renato Alves, EMBL Bio-IT, Heidelberg, Germany
- Daniela Brites, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
- Roland Krause, University of Luxembourg, ELIXIR-Luxembourg
- Patricia Palagi, SIB Training Group, ELIXIR-Switzerland
Coordination: Patricia Palagi (SIB Training Group and ELIXIR-CH), and Roland Krause (ELIXIR-LU).
You are welcome to register to the SIB courses mailing list to be informed of all future courses and workshops, as well as all important deadlines using the form here.
SIB abides by the ELIXIR Code of Conduct. Participants of SIB courses are also required to abide by the same code.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A course delivered in collaboration with:
Keywords: training, community, outreach
Organizer: SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics